book design: “heredity" / 2012, pratt institute, typography
Heredity is inspired by the words from the book, Adrian Frutiger Typefaces. Complete works. What Adrian had been experienced and expressed are all merged into the typefaces he designed; in a way, the typefaces inherit the spirit of the idea, the history, the knowledge, the beauty and the time.
“You could call it a style, a personal form convention, that I can’t encapsulate; neither can I say, without difficulty, where it actually comes from. A mixture of the cross between the two personalities who were my teachers, and of course, my personality is in there somewhere. A mix. And the luck, that the mixing of the Germanic with Latin produced such a personal expression.” – Adrian Frutiger (Adrian Frutiger in conversation with Erich Alb, Rudolf Barmettler and Philipp Stamm, 26 January 2011.) Typeface usage: Univers 55
This book design consists of five parts; each part shows a special aspect of heredity which is more about the idea in emotion and conceptual or philosophy.
1. Reflect back into those years, mom baking her best pumpkin pie, once in a while, on the relaxing Sunday afternoon, the smell from kitchen slightly travelled to the entire house merging with the smell of grandpa’s smoking pipe; every evening, waiting for dad’s “I’m home, my dear family.” and after dinner sitting all together watching the entertaining show, hearing grandma telling the bedtime stories from Greek gods, literature heroes, adventures to the mystery of the forgotten world. There are countless events, from small to big, from daily trivial things to family meetings and it is the House, who sees everything; under her protection, under her endurance and her generosity, the family, then, grows. It is the House inherits the family history.
2. The Salinity of the ocean inherits the human activity.
3. Ever look upon the sky, Beside the azure blue and fluffy milky white; Often can be found the soaring creatures. They are free and brave. Happy and content, Physics exists at the moment when they fly. Speed up or slow down, Silently one will know in that dimension five. Through the serene pond, They draw the curved path. Free falling to the empty side, With simple gesture open wide, Beauty and elegant shall prove the wind.
4. Have you read the time? Observe a structure then, or any thing; without any artificial light interference, from 12:00 am to 12:00 pm; every moment, you’ll see the shadow changes because of the moon, the earth and the sun. Every thing is moving, everything is changing and so as the time.
5. It is the human being who inherit the emotions, love, hatred, happiness, sadness, gratitude, twinge, pity, remorse, shame, sympathy, envy, hurt, guilty, anger, loneliness, confusion, doubt, hope, joy, worry, contempt, tension, despair, amusement, trust, content, hurt, euphoria, powerlessness, calm, frustration, elation, hysteria, relieved, irritation, suffering, fear, pride, doubt, courage, hostility, stress, annoyance, boredom, serene, friendliness, excitement, shock, disgust, embarrassment, hunger, satisfaction, politeness, surprised, empathy, paranoia , regret, affection, ecstasy, horror, acceptance,
And it is also the human beings inherited the kindness, forgiveness and the faith in life.
this work is featured in Print Communications, Adobe Design Award 2012 (semifinalist)